Tuesday 12 August 2014

Good evening!

Tonight I fancied a home made, healthy but substantial dinner. So I cooked sweet and sour chicken. Not the deep fried sweet and sour chicken you get at the takeaway Chinese may I add.

I seasoned the chicken breast with salt and pepper, sliced it into bite size chunks and then fried it in a little olive oil until browned and then put to one side. I then added a drop of olive oil to the already hot pan but turned the heat down and threw in the onion, pepper, garlic, spring onion and  fried for one minute. Then I added the pineapple chunks, tomato puree, rice vinegar (any vinegar would do) and brown sugar and brought to the boil stirring slowly. Once the consistency was as I liked it, I turned the heat down and added the cooked chicken and crushed walnuts. Cashews or peanuts would have been better but I used what I had. Although the nuts come right at the end and are a can-do-without ingredient, their subtle crunch makes the dish for me.

I cooked a small amount of rice with mine to soak up the sauce and give the dish a bit more weight. However if you are looking to cut out the carbs, the sweet and sour chicken is it's own dish in it's own right. For a quick, easy but flavoursome dinner option, look no further. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment